Friday 19 August 2011

Week 7(b): Database



Hello! This is going to be our last week together. =)

This week, we're required to prepare a database about students' information management through the application of Open Office Base. Honestly, this is the very first time I've come across database. I've never seen the need of acquiring the appropriate skills of creating a database. How wrong was I then. In fact, the act of planning and creating a database is one of the most basic skill a teacher should acquire. It is our duty to prepare a database about students information as records to show our understanding and dedication towards the teaching profession. The following are some of the basic steps to planning and creating a database.

1.   Tables: Create table in Design view (4 separate tables)

·         Student table(use student ID as a Primary key)
·         Parent table (use student ID as a Primary key)
·         Curriculum table (use student ID as a Primary key)
·         Co-curriculum table(use student ID as a Primary key)
2.   Tool --> Relationship: Create relationships between tables by linking the student ID (Do not create students’ names in any other table except the Student Table)
3.   Use Wizard to Create Form:
·         Student Form
·         Parent Form
·         Curriculum Form
·         Co-curriculum Form
4.   Data entry using Form (Note: do not use table for data entry)
5.   Create several queries from the database
6.   Create reports based on the queries.


Here, I would like to thank Mr Fariduddin for relentless effort in explaining the ways to create and plan a database. In fact, the lecture given was sweet, short yet concise. Although I had no prior knowledge whatsoever in creating a database and this was my very contact towards such application, I found the task quite interesting and fun. Weird for me to say so, right? Yeah but I really enjoyed it. Maybe it's because this would my last assignment of GE1155 so I would like to make the best out of it.

Initially, I did face some problems regarding my planning and creating the database. In fact, I mix up the procedures required to be followed in order to create the desired database so my first database ended up in a jumble. After a series of trial and error, i tried again and found the prefect solution to it. It seemed that I forgot to refer to the instructions given by our coordinator and thus, I landed myself in deep waters. I was not supposed to insert students' names in any other tables other than that of "Student Table". Besides, I had some problems in inserting the required data into queries too. Truth to be told, I referred to others' work and found out that their queries was a one table results. It differed from mine as we had four tables of queries. Later, I've got to know that my method was also right. In fact, I spent hours of fretting and worrying over something that was supposedly correct. However, it taught me something new that day as databases can be created in several different ways based on people's preferences. 

All in all, by the end of this course subject, I felt that I've gained more than what I've bargained for. And for that, I'm always thankful.

P/s: A thank you entry is coming up soon. =)



Aileen Tiong Ling
A135735
B. Ed TESL IPGKS - UKM
GGGE1155 Computer in Education
Faculty of Education
Telephone Num.         : 013-5603522
Email Address(es)      : aileenukm7@yahoo.com/ aileenanaukm7@gmail.com
Yahoo! Group Account : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/a135735aileentiong
Facebook Account       : http://www.facebook.com/a135735aileentiong
Blog Address              : http://aileena135735.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment