Saturday 13 August 2011

Reflection Week 6: Multimedia, Audio & Visual Presentation Kit/Courseware


Hello! Nice to meet you! 

The following week, we're required to prepare a presentation kit and courseware. In the first place, I was pretty happy and relieved that that we're given the opportunity to fully utilise our presentation skills through Microsoft PowerPoint. How was I to know that we have to present using Open Office Impress? Although I've done countless presentation slides over the past five years, I've never tried using other application program other than PowerPoint. In fact, I initially thought that using Open Office Impress would be of no differences from Microsoft PowerPoint or so I thought. Hence, a new chapter of exploration has begun.

Remember in the previous entry. I've downloaded and installed Open Office application program into my computer? Yeah! So, I am going to move start into my progress of using Open Office Impress. Honestly, despite the fact that Open Office Impress has much simpler features and interface, using it to prepare a presentation kit was time-consuming. Both application programs might look almost the same but both functions differ so totally from one another. Truth to be told, I had a difficult time trying to locate the buttons and icons in Open Office Impress. Therefore, I indulged myself in a series of trial and error to familiarise myself with the various functions of Open Office Impress. Our assignment is divided into two parts, (a)presentation kit and (b)multimedia courseware.

For former part of the assignment, we've decided to re-use our our previous assignment, "Critical Web-Research Skills & Positive Web Behaviours". Based on my own experience, I'm more attracted to simple presentations with appropriate visual aids. Besides, the transition between the powerpoint slides need to be flawless and connected to ensure the smooth flow of ideas in-between slides. In the first place, i also had a hard time trying to import diagrams and images into Open Office Impress. After hours of trial and error, I've found the solution. Tada! Try clicking on the edge of the diagrams or images to alter their sizes and positions. In short, I've re-learned the skills of making a presentation kit through Open Office Impress. In fact, I'm glad that I've been given another opportunity to re-learn skills that I've known long before. 

Next, I'll be moving on the second part of the assignment. However, I missed some lectures about the ways to prepare multimedia related courseware due to persona; family problems. In fact, I was absent for those lectures and thus I was pretty confused about the programs needed to be introduced into this courseware presentation. Thanks to my partner, Rachel Chin who relentlessly helped me in my understanding of the preparation of the courseware. In fact, we used all Windows Movie Maker, Audacity and GIMP application programs in our courseware presentation. I had no problems what-so-ever in using both Audacity and GIMP applications. Although I had no prior knowledge of what is and how to use the GIMP program, yet my pair and I managed to complete our audio file successfully without much troubles. The problem started to surface when we're trying to convert the Window Movie Maker file into video format. In fact, my computer had trouble trying to play the video, once imported into the courseware application. After series of trial and error, I managed to figure out the solution and delete the previous video in order to replace it with a newer version of the video. Truth to be told, we downloaded a video from Youtube.com which is related to our topic, "Thinking Skills and ICT'. Sorry not to mention it earlier that we've decided to prepare a presentation courseware based on our very first assignment, "Thinking Skills & ICT".

All in all, I've gained numerous throughout the whole week. I hope that I would be able to utilise all these knowledge I've gained in the not-too-distant future. 

Thanks! Happy reading! =)

Aileen Tiong Ling
A135735
B. Ed TESL IPGKS - UKM
GGGE1155 Computer in Education
Faculty of Education
Telephone Num.         : 013-5603522
Email Address(es)      : aileenukm7@yahoo.com/ aileenanaukm7@gmail.com
Yahoo! Group Account : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/a135735aileentiong
Facebook Account       : http://www.facebook.com/a135735aileentiong
Blog Address              : http://aileena135735.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment